I recently bought my first home in Southern California. In the near future, my friend will move in with me and pay me rent. While I trust him and I think everything will be fine… I always want to have mine. I have never rented a place and I have never lived with anyone other than family. If your name is not in the rental agreement, you are not responsible for paying the rent or maintaining the lease. However, if your partner leaves, it is likely that your landlord will accept rent payments from you in their absence and may even be willing to transfer the lease to your name. If your relationship breaks down, you may want to explain the situation to your landlord and ask them to let you know if your spouse or life partner is trying to terminate the lease. I would not consider it. She should post on another forum if she has to have you put a ring on her finger before moving in with you.

You`re probably the one getting more free milk here. I wouldn`t be surprised if this appears in a very expensive Abby column😃 If you have separate leases with your landlord, you are only responsible for your own share of the rent. However, if you live together as a couple, you are unlikely to have separate leases. Even if your name is not included in the rental agreement, you can still take responsibility for being a tenant. This means that you do not need to seek your spouse`s consent to do something that is normally related to the maintenance of the lease. For example, you are entitled to: sorry man, but I would not treat her as a tenant, but it is one thing for them to live with you, another if you look after her as a “woman” in an ordinary landlord-tenant relationship, there is either a written payment or an oral rent in which a party has a duty to provide services or pay rent. Normally, there is a deadline, the lease ends, and people move. Often, tenants hold more of this day, and continue to pay rent under the terms of the written or oral tenancy agreement. In this case, the landlord or tenant must terminate the tenancy agreement for at least one full month to terminate the tenancy agreement. If, for example.B. the rent is due on the 1st of the month and the landlord wishes to terminate the tenancy agreement, the tenant must be terminated before the 1st of the month, with the termination date set on the last day of that month.

If the tenant refuses to move, the landlord cannot simply change the locks. Instead, the landlord may, at the expiry of the termination and lease, sue an eviction action that may ultimately lead the court to issue a decision requiring the tenant to relocate, which is assisted by the county sheriff. Your client should not change the locks summarily and tell his girlfriend and children that they should live somewhere else. In Minnesota, it is against the law to block someone from their home, and your client could end up paying thousands of dollars if he pursues such a strategy. Unfortunately, your landlord will not necessarily know and may be willing to terminate the lease at your spouse`s request if he or she is the tenant mentioned. Remember, the tenant will also need the landlord`s permission to do all these things. If your name is not in the rental agreement, please note that your landlord may not know that the tenant`s husband, wife or life partner must also grant permission. Unfortunately, there is no digital formula for your situation, despite the fact that it is becoming the norm.

However, there is a relatively simple way to break it into the concept: treat housing costs as if your friend were your landlord.